Friday, November 28, 2008

Hand Painted

I love Etsy, some of the work there is fantastic. I did register and add some products but it is a site you would want to be working on full time, adding products and promoting them. My two websites already keep me very busy so Etsy just hasn't evolved for me.


It leads me into my hand painted products as Etsy would have been a great place to exhibit and sell them, unfortunately it didn't exist then. I have hand painted- T-shirts, door knobs, vases, greeting cards, chairs, and toilet seats, yes, loo seats! In the early nineties Ireland wasn't exactly a hot bed for designer goods, but one lady had set up a designer interior shop called - Presents Of Mind. It probably was one of the first of its kind in Dublin.


I had hand painted some vases and plates as gifts for friends and had such a good response, I thought I would produce them as a product to sell. I approached Presents Of Mind and, bingo, I had my first order. Nothing sold for six weeks and she was about to ask me to remove the items when I had my first sale! Then my second and before I knew it I was producing and selling my products into this cool shop. It was great, my prodcuts sold so well, Irish clients as well as tourist bought my work. I was on a roll!


After a year and a half of selling my items very successfully to her, she decided to close her shop down and open Minima, a minimalistic furniture shop! Well, my work isn't exactly minimalistic, so it was on to pastures new for me!

6 comments:

  1. ~Crazy loo seat & more~
    ~Wonderful~ Crazy bloggy you have just started here!~
    I am loving it already~
    Yes~ there is so much out there now~
    ~I have often wished that, that was there or man, why didn't they have that when I was starting out~
    It is mind boggling ~ really!~
    maybe~ too much~
    Anyway~I make my way~
    And~ I really like your bloggy~
    ~Amy~
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These hand painted items are absolutely gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the doorknob here. and I could seriously use one of those in my house. It shows up really well on your blog also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hand painted toilet seats????? Wow. who would have thought.....where can I get one of those. I have guests coming over! lol. Very good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Blue Throw Blanket / Kids Throw Blanket /Lion Throw Blanket /

Blue Throw Blanket / Kids Throw Blanket /Lion Throw Blanket / Snorkeling Throw Blanket / Water Throw Blanket I love the use of my art on thi...