Saturday, November 8, 2008

Wartissimus


I laugh at some of the things I have done over the years with my work. I had left college to a fairly bleak Irish economy, I had an agent in London and was illustrating children's books. I loved this but there was always a burning ambition to sell my own product. At this stage I had no knowledge of selling to the public or mass production, but had a feeling that to produce and sell my work would be fun.

So, I set up Wartissmus. These were hand painted T-shirts with hand sewn adornments on them. Yes, they were WILD! I worked again with Joyce Daly and we started to sell our T-shirts from the Design Center in Dublin. It was such fun and we sold lots of T-shirts. People loved them, it was great. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and it was our success that brought us to this point. All our products were hand done and we just couldn't keep up with the work. Again, I was back illustrating for other people but waiting for my next solo project.


Here are some of our T-shirts, with model Laura Birmingham.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Carla!

    First of all, glad to have you looking in on my blog from time to time: welcome.

    Second - wow! So glad I found you. I can understand why the Tshirts were such a success. They are grrrrreat! (as a certain tiger once said...).

    I really love your illustrations. The characterisation is hilarious! Your header just creases me up. It's the expressions.

    I recognise your twitches, no wonder - sounds like they've been really successful too. Can't wait to hear about what you're up to now...

    ReplyDelete

Blue Throw Blanket / Kids Throw Blanket /Lion Throw Blanket /

Blue Throw Blanket / Kids Throw Blanket /Lion Throw Blanket / Snorkeling Throw Blanket / Water Throw Blanket I love the use of my art on thi...