Sunday, January 25, 2009

WWW.



I have been thinking about these three letters and what they mean to me. Up until 6 years ago they meant just that- three w's! Now they are such a big part of my life. I am what you call a traditional illustrator, this means, I paint by hand and not on the computer. So computers took a while to really impact my world.

My husband is a software engineer (how lucky is that) and he encouraged me to create my first website, this was in 2002. It took me two weeks and I created it all myself, it was purely to show my illustration work, at this stage I wasn't selling my work online. It just sat there for a few years until in 2005 two things really motivated me to create, what is now my online shop.

In early 2005 my daughter was born and mid 2005 my Mother died very suddenly. These two things made me feel I should be doing what I always wanted to do with my work - create and sell it myself. So, while my daughter slept I painted and worked on my three w's!- www.carladaly.com. I started with just 4 images and started selling them into Habitat, Dublin, they sold really well. My husband (Laszlo) worked on creating my online shop and thaught me how to manage uploading my images and dealing with my customers. I have never looked back! Sales came in straight away. I have to add, it has been hard work but it has been the best thing I have ever done with my work.

Here are the first four kids wall prints I ever produced, they are still great sellers on my site.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Carla...I'm so proud of you! Not only are you an extremely talented artist....but you've done such a wonderful job with the 3 w's too! Keep it going!!!!

    Also....Lucky you that your hubby is a software engineer! Too cool!

    Enchanted Blessings!
    Joycee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute... I love the zebras! And such an inspirational story :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. www. what do those words mean? Hey this post is very poetic. Can you write as well? If so you're very talented. Yes, the internet seems to be the best way to reach millions of customers. It's great that you dived right in after your husband recommended it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These first few illustrations are absolutely fabulous. It's no wonder you started selling things right off the bat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job! You're an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete

Blue Throw Blanket / Kids Throw Blanket /Lion Throw Blanket /

Blue Throw Blanket / Kids Throw Blanket /Lion Throw Blanket / Snorkeling Throw Blanket / Water Throw Blanket I love the use of my art on thi...